The department is responsible for infrastructure development within Intsika Yethu jurisdiction. Technical service’s is one of the strategic departments responsible for job creation, socio-economic infrastructure, economic development through infrastructure and poverty alleviation.
FUNCTIONS OF TECHNICAL SERVICES DEPARTMENT
- To facilitate and coordinate for the provision of sustainable water and sanitation facilities to all the communities of Intsika Yethu.
- To provide rural access roads with minor maintenance work.
- To provide maintenance of infrastructure (roads, bridges, electricity, and buildings etc).
- To facilitate the provision of Grid and Non-Grid electricity in the Intsika Yethu jurisdictional areas.
- To provide all-weather roads in both Cofimvaba and Tsomo Towns.
- To alleviate the rate of unemployment by creating job opportunities.
- Assisting the emerging local contractors by trainings on site and enforcement of compliance.
- To manage, monitor and supervise contractors and consultants for infrastructure projects.
- Prepare business plans for infrastructure projects.
- To provide in-service training to local students within Intsika Yethu area.
- To liaise with communities for project implementation.
- To advice council on infrastructure investments.
- Liaise with internal departments for management of all infrastructure related projects
UNITS OF THE DEPARTMENT AND ITS FUNCTIONS
ROJECT MANAGEMENT UNIT
- Preparing business plans for infrastructure projects,
- Overall project management of infrastructure project,
- Management and implementation of Expanded Public Works Programs (EPWP),
- Preparing project specifications,
- Enforce compliance with statutory requirements (OHS, ECSA, CIDB, CESA, etc),
- Liaise with other government stakeholders for all infrastructure projects within Intsika Yethu municipal area,
- Identify projects for implementation and investment,
- Develop policies for EPWP projects to ensure Labour Intensive Construction projects are implemented to alleviate poverty by creating job opportunities and
- To manage capital projects related to infrastructure
- Maintenance of municipal amenities,
- Identification of electrification required in un-electrified areas,
- Management of infrastructure projects being implemented by the municipality.
- Co-ordinate projects with Eskom,
- Identify funding for investment in electrical infrastructure and
- Identify projects to be implemented for electrical projects
- Preparing business plans for maintenance projects (roads, stormwater, buildings etc),
- Overall project management of maintenance project,
- Preparing project specifications for maintenance projects,
- Development of local contractors,
- Identify projects for maintenance,
- Management of internal plant,
- Maintenance of municipal infrastructure,
- Preparation of maintenance plan based on ward needs and
- Create job opportunities by implementing maintenance projects through labour intensive methods